Ergonomics Engineering specialises in the measurement, analysis and interpretation of the following lighting aspects:
- Ambient and task illuminance: a measure of the amount of light hitting a surface
- Luminance: the brightness of a point on a surface that is reflecting light.
- Glare: the difficulty of seeing in the presence of bright light such as direct or reflected sunlight or artificial light such as car headlamps at night.
The measurement and analysis of lighting will:
- Quantify and identify if the ambient lighting inside the work areas is sufficient for the type of task(s) being performed.
- Quantify the glare or reflection experienced by the human operator at his/her workstation.
- Provide recommendations for lighting improvement within the workplace
- Ensure lighting complies with recognised standards and legislation.
- Determine the impact of poor lighting on the human operator.